Monday, February 2, 2009

Oh, Obama. O-B-A-M-A...



Quite unusual, though not totally unexpected. I have been studying English for about forty-some years, and I have never come across such an Anglo-Saxon name as "BARACK". The other day one of my 11-grade students while doing a routine excercise composed the following statement:"What's ridiculous is that an Afro-American lives in the White House." Isn't it amazing that a normal UKRAINIAN student cares about the one who sits in the Oval Office across the ocean?

LIVE AND LEARN:

1. That's how stereotypes work. America is NOT a WASP (White, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant) country any more.

2.That's how globalization works. The decisions taken in the White House are REALLY important here, in Kyiv.

If I were a US citizen I would definitely vote for McCaine. You know, somehow I trust a person who has some experience in confrontation with the global plague armed with all sorts of modern weaponry. I trust fighter pilots who have survived: all their decisions had been the right ones. I trust men who know the practical meanings of the words "duty", "dignity" and "responsibility". And who is that Barack Obama?

The answer is very simple: the 44th president of the USA. The nation's choice, God bless them.

I may not trust Obama. I may not trust the voters. But I trust America as a system created more than 200 years ago. It has unique built-in mechanisms of turning all its wrongs into rights. So, CONGRATULATIONS, MR. PRESIDENT!

To read the Hyde Park article created by Ann ATAMAS (Group 23-E) and Vlad KUZMENKO (Group 22-E) click on OBAMA ARTICLE .

To see some funny cartoons from Obama's presidential campaign click HERE .

No comments: